Tuesday 8 March 2011

I Heart Fashion (INTERVIEW): Onekana 'Be Seen'


The saying goes “imitation is the best form of flattery”. But a simple compliment could spawn a new creative venture that may have been starring you in the face all along. 
Such is the case for Nicole Johnson; fashion designer and creative founder of clothing and accessories  label-Onekana
After receiving a copious amount of “oohs” and “ahhs” on designs that were once an admired projection of her own individual style, Nicole decided it was time to extend her talents beyond the confinement of her own wardrobe. Taking time out of her busy schedule, she talks to MOABG about unique fashion, enhancing pride and confidence  and the incredible need to ‘Be Seen’.

What inspired you to launch your own label?

Creating things at home for myself and family and friends, they would always encourage me to take my craft more seriously and consider it on a business level. I saw that people really liked what I was creating and I started to think-“yeah, I could do this”.  So I went on a short business course and that really gave me the push to actually turn it into a reality.

Where does the name 'Onekana' derive from?

I thought long hard about a name that would really reflect the nature of my products, and 'Onekana' means 'be seen' in Kiswahili.
I was aware of the attention that I got whenever I wore what I call my 'starter shoes' (the first pair I made).  People would pay me compliments, ask where I got them, sometimes just stare - but either way these shoes got noticed, because they stood out and they were different.  Every female loves that feeling when they know they're wearing a hot pair of shoes  that gets acknowledged.  So I thought yes, 'be seen!’  Because really that's what we all want with our personal fashion is to stand out - it's an expression at  and I want my products to invoke that sassy female attitude.


What kind of woman do you envisage when you are a designing a piece of clothing?
Someone who is confident, comfortable with themselves, and isn't afraid to stand out from the crowd.  Trend followers need not apply! Lol


What does the Onekana woman represent?
All of the above, plus a woman who loves fashion and loves Africa.

What are the toughest obstacles you have faced with managing your own design label?
Finance and time management.

What has been the highlight of managing your own label?
The positive response from people.  It's such a beautiful feeling when complete strangers are so appreciative of your work.  That's only topped by seeing someone wearing something that you made and they paid for! I love that - it's so humbling.

 Where do you get your inspiration from?
 The same people who respond positively to me. 

What kind of music or images do you use (if at all) to help put you in a creative mindset?
Reggae music is always playing when I'm in my creative zone.

What advice would you give to those who are about starting  their own business?

Don't rush into it.  Read, research, get some advice, and make sure you're passionate enough about what you're doing.  Because you'll need to the passion to keep up momentum when things may not be going as desired.

What next for Onekana?
Who knows? At the moment it's hard to say as I'm studying at university, so I don't have as much time as I’d like to commit to the business.  But as with any endeavour growth is always desired, so I'll just say progress.
Be sure to check out the Onekana website for more exclusive designs. 

1 comment: