Tuesday 18 January 2011

I Heart History: Talib Kweli Remembers Martin Luther King



Yesterday marked the US national holiday for Dr. Martin Luther King. Although I'm a day late in paying tribute to his honour (technical hitch with the laptop) the  message and the legacy in which he left behind is still instrumental to our everyday lives- which beckoned me to question why should only one day be dedicated to his memory?


Placing Justice, freedom and love at the forefront of the civil rights movement, Martin Luther King's message spoke of hope, unity and equal opportunities for all, a sentiment that is just as cardinal today as it was back then. On that note, Talib Kweli recently sat down with the team over at Vibe Magazine to discuss the the importance of Martin Luther King in his dignified accolade to the iconic African American leader.




Speaking to Vibe he states:

"The first time I remember Martin Luther King having an impact on me was in ’82. I was six or seven years old and my mother took me to D.C.—they were having a rally to create the national holiday. I know that rally couldn’t have compared to the “March on Washington” rally in ’63, but it’s still a memory from my childhood that sticks through the test of time. I remember hearing speeches from Dr. King, and especially seeing Stevie Wonder perform “Happy Birthday,” which was an incredible experience that I’ll never forget." 

He continues, "I think hip-hop culture does care. I think Dr. King’s legacy is so great that hip-hop culture is not immune to it. Hip-hop culture does not exist without Dr. King, and I think most people who listen to hip-hop recognize and understand that. I don’t know if most people employ Dr. King’s spirituality, vision and clarity into their everyday lives, but his legacy is certainly respected."

Click here for the full interview.

"At the centre of non-violence stands the principle of love." DR. Martin Luther King

No comments:

Post a Comment